The Nepal Centre for Disaster Management (NCDM) has the following
- Carry out study, research, survey and other related activities for disaster mitigation and preparedness.
- Develop appropriate technology for disaster risk reduction and
disseminate them to vulnerable communities.
- Organize trainings, seminars, workshops, interactions, and
exhibitions at national and international level on disaster risk
mitigation and management.
- Organize community level programs to enhance their coping
capacity against disasters.
- Work with concerned organizations, including the Government, and
the affected people and institutions to manage and mitigate the risk
of natural or other disasters. Also work as a contact point and
liaison between the victims of disasters and the government agencies
at times of disasters.
- Publish posters, pamphlets, booklets, journals, and produce
audiovisuals to raise disaster awareness among people.
- Help to enhance coordination between the government and
non-government organizations in disaster preparedness, prevention,
mitigation, rescue, relief, and rehabilitation.
- Play active role to assist the government in providing immediate
rescue, relief and rehabilitation to the victims of disasters.
- Establish coordination and cooperation with national and
international institutions and individuals and exchange expertise
and knowledge in disaster mitigation, rescue, relief, and
- Establish and operate database on disasters in the country and
carry out damage assessment after disasters.
- Work for the protection of the environment in order to mitigate
natural disasters, particularly for floods and landslides.